CranioSacral Therapy (CST) is one of the most effective holistic treatments that you’ve never heard of. The therapy was developed by an osteopath named William Sutherland about 100 years ago and further researched by Dr. John Upledger in the 70’s. CST is used by doctors, nurses, naturopaths, dentists, chiropractors, physical therapists, etc for a variety of conditions. This therapy is done fully-clothed and uses a very light-touch which is roughly the weight of a nickel.
- Migraines/headaches – There are techniques a CST therapist can use to improve symptoms from chronic migraines/headaches. A properly trained individual can work with the bones of the head and other areas of the body to provide immediate and long-term relief from debilitating headaches.
- Depression/Anxiety – Did you know there are bones in the head that if misaligned can trigger depression symptoms? CranioSacral Therapy can help alleviate symptoms from anxiety and depression related to cranial compression and misalignment.
- TMJ pain or clicking – There are a variety of techniques that benefit TMJ problems. A CranioSacral Therapist may work with several bones in the head and surrounding muscles to improve range of motion and provide relief to this common problem.
- Injury Recovery – CranioSacral Therapy assists the body’s ability to heal itself by relieving tightness, swelling, and constriction in the area around the injury site, as well as other surrounding areas. An injury never occurs in an isolated area, the body will “protect” an injury and begin to compensate for the pain in very subtle ways. Over time this creates secondary problems in structural alignment which frequently leads to pain.
- Natural Pain relief – CST assists in removing restrictions in the body caused by injury, trauma, and disease. Restrictions can be from unhealed injuries, limited range of motion, or disease and when untreated will create pain in other areas of the body.
These are just a few of the most common reasons one would look for relief in CranioSacral Therapy. I’ve personally worked on everything from stress to spinal cord injury. Don’t be fooled by the light touch, this work is extremely powerful and very effective!